Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Not Really What You Would Call a Runner

I'm not really a runner. But I like the idea of running. I told myself at the beginning of this year I was going to run some races for exercise. I got the Couch to 5K app on my phone and started training. Well about mile 1.5 into it I realized I did not purchase the app and had downloaded the "short" version of the app and so I thought I was doing really great but really just running the same amount I had the first day. It had looped back around to run 2 mins rest for 5, now that is my kind of running. It almost caused me pause enough to loop right on around back to my couch.

I did continue to run and since we have had such nice weather I have really enjoyed it. I can't really run in our neighborhood, well I can but the police tend to stop white women in new kicks from Fleet Feet, sporting new jogging wear from Target, and ask, "Ma'am are you okay, do you know where you are?" That might partly be because when I run I tend to look like someone who is gasping for air and panicked, same look you get from someone who has just had their purse stolen, so really I don't blame the police.


Exactly.

So my first race came up this past Saturday. The weather was beautiful which was great because my app did not teach me how to run in the rain only sunshine. Preston decided he was going to run the race with me. Which was sweet and fun until we got about halfway to mile marker 1, approx 5 mins in and he looked back at me with this look like, "hey mom, can I go on, because that man with the walker just passed you and I'm getting a little embarrassed." He did not say those words but he didn't have to. So I gave him the nod and he took off. Like so much faster than me that I began to wonder if he had cheated and cut through a side street.

I did take a shower and put on make up for the race. You know, just in case Bob Costas showed up and wanted to interview me. Every year when he commentates the Iron Man I cry. I don't know if it his voice or those people running through that finish line after that incredibly grueling race but I cry.

 I finished, don't even ask because I am not about to tell my time but I finished. And I am really excited about the next one. Now Bennett has gotten the running bug and wants to run. He said, "Mom, I don't know how to ask you this but I want to run with you, but is it okay if we don't run together? Like I might beat you by about 15 min like Preston did."

WHATEVER.

Here is our picture from the race. And let me ask a serious question. If my hair was brown, would I look like Dora the Explorer in this picture? Not telling you which one of my children suggested that, but really?

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA. I do not see Dora at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA...this blog is amazing. The picture of what we really look like running is PERFECT. And Dora - well...maybe just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, thanks for making my morning! You are hysterical. :) I'm so proud of you for running! If you ever want a buddy let me know- I'm slow as mud. I don't see Dora at all... I see a hot mama in some cute new workout gear. Love ya Carrie!

    ReplyDelete