Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Productive Day


Well I guess today was our first official day to pack up stuff and move it into storage. We got up this morning and went to rent a storage unit. Once we got all of that squared away we started up in the attic. It was as hot as blue blazes up there (I never really went up there, I just stood at the bottom of the stairs and watched Braxton hand me stuff down but I could tell from the huge sweat rings on his shirt and the dripping brow, bless his heart) but we managed to clean out our entire attic. There is zip, nothing, nada up there. I love the feeling of having things cleaned out and organized but good grief the process of getting there is hard. Very similar to another process of cleaning out but in a spiritual sense. I love the feeling of when I have confessed and repented of sin in my life, cleaned out the attic so to speak but the process is not always fun.
After two trips to the storage unit we picked up our adopted son for the summer. Every summer for the past several years we have adopted a summer staffer from SOS www.sosmemphis.org It has been a huge blessing for us. We enjoy getting to know these college students. It is so encouraging to see their passion for service and for the Lord. This summer our "son" is Tremaine. Tremaine just graduated from High School in Jackson, TN and will go to Union University in the fall and play basketball. He is an amazingly mature young man who we have really enjoyed getting to know. Treamine came over tonight and hung out with the fam. My kids love having him over. I love what Tremaine is teaching them about being in love with Jesus, humility, and service over self.

We are now ending the day watching The Iron Man Race. It is always something so inspiring to watch. Especially while eating a piece of Carmel Cake. I get the same kind of feeling when I am eating a bowl of ice cream watching The Biggest Loser. Someday, I think, someday I will get there, just kidding I don't ever want to run that hard unless something is chasing me. In all seriousness I do seem to get choked up every year watching. Watching these people work so hard for something and then watching some of them succeed and some fail. It makes me cry every year, the commentators, the music, the watching of people cross the finish line with tears in their eyes and fist pumping in the air, I hope to finish the "good race" that way someday.

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.




No comments:

Post a Comment