Thursday, July 7, 2011

Where's the Love?

This morning I sat down for a few minutes to watch the news. This past Sunday while our family was at a redbirds game there was a tragedy across the street at a hotel. A Memphis police officer and another man were shot and killed. In my opinion part of the reason this is such a great tragedy is that the people of Memphis have become numb to this type of situation. I heard several comments from fans at the baseball game, "typical Memphis," "it figures another Memphis murder," or even "this isn't even breaking news anymore, it is just Memphis news."


At some level and with a repentant heart I say I am guilty of feeling some of these things myself. I have thought a lot about it the past couple of days and have watched the news off and on to find out the latest details. Partly due to just plain curiosity and partly due to my heart feeling heavy for everyone concerned.

It seems that officer Timothy Warren was a Christian man who loved his Savior, family and this city. I am grateful for men like him in our city and sad for the loss of his life. I pray that somehow through this some good will be found and God will be glorified.

As I flipped on the news this morning there was an interview with a Memphis woman who is a singer/songwriter. She was singing a song called "Wears the Love" As I listened to the words it made me think about the past few days and where my heart is.

I strongly believe that if you are a believer in Jesus it is our call to "wear the love." This city is hard and sometimes hard to love but if you put on the love of Jesus it becomes much easier. I think Timothy Warren understood this and lived his life as a testimony to it.

Where's the love? Something I am going to start asking myself more often. Where's the love for this city, my fellow neighbor and the world?

Jill Dyson is the artist of this song and if you download on itunes today part of the proceeds go to a ministry that she supports to bring young children from other countries to LeBonheur in Memphis for life saving surgeries. You can read more about it here http://sweetshirtbyjilldyson.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/monday-stories-wears-the-love-the-story-behind-the-song/

Great song with a great reminder. Thank you Jill Dyson for the reminder and thank you officer Timothy Warren for wearing the love so much that you gave your life to protect our city.

No comments:

Post a Comment